Sunday, March 23, 2014

Week 8 - Sarah Hesp Basketball




ls: This week we have Sarah Hesp from the Cannons Basketball club.
What sports do you play?
cbh: Basketball
ls: What clubs do you currently play for?
sh: Cannons.
ls: What position do you play?
sh: Guard/ Forward.
ls: How many years have you been playing?
sh: 8 years.
ls: Who is your sporting hero?
sh: Olivia Thompson (current Townsville Fire forward)
ls: How did you get involved in these sports?
sh: My school principle/teacher at a small country town school of about 50 students was the Townsville Fire’s assistant coach. He used to bring the Fire team out and our family would take them to a cane fire. He also took me too some of the games. I wanted to play ever since. So I started playing in the Burdekin.
ls: This shows the impact that our state and national teams can have at grass roots levels of sport. It is important that we support teams like the Townsville Crocs, Townsville Fire and get behind the push to get the NQ Fury back into the A league. This has the double effect of providing local juniors a pathway into the elite sporting ranks that can be very difficult when competing in rural and country towns away from the main urban centers. Leiden studios has had a lot of experience photographing State events, watching local teams trying to compete against the city teams. It is often difficult for them to compete at the intensity that is required because they lack the competition in the local comps.
What rep honours have you achieved?
sh: Townsville Flames,U14, U16 & U18, Burdekin Wildcats U12, QLD North U16 & U18, School North QLD U12, U15, U18. Townsville Fire Academy, QLD North U15.
ls: You have to admit that it is an impressive list. How much time is involved?
sh: Each day I train for at least 2 hours. This includes fitness, games, shooting, individual and team training.
ls: What is the best part of playing the sport?
sh: Getting to play with people that you enjoy playing with and just playing the sport that I love.
ls: What is the worst part?
sh: Missing out on a lot of social events, parties, hanging out with friends etc.

ls: What is your favourite event?
sh: My favourite sport would have to be Nationals. To have the opportunity to play against the Nation’s greatest and then be able to make friendships with people who also love the sport just as much as you. And also the memories that you create.
ls: What is your biggest accomplishment in your sports?
sh: Being named captain of the U16 QLD North team.
ls: What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?
sh: Being a good leader – by communicating, putting 110% into everything I do and secondly concentrating on the little things..
ls: What would be your ultimate achievement?
sh: To play for the Townsville Fire and win a WNBL championship. To play for Australia and go to college.
ls: What is the best advice you have been given?
sh: To not worry about all the rubbish that happens off the court, just do what I do best and leave it all on the court.
ls: What do you like to do in your free time away from your sport?
sh: I mostly study but I like to just relax and hang out with friends.
ls: Anything else that you would like to share?
sh: I go to boarding school in Townsville, so having to coordinate everything and organise lifts to training etc., really does show that I want to play and how dedicated I am and you have to be
ls: Thanks Sarah, I appreciate your time and you coming back to reshoot some of your photos. I did not realise that you were a boarder.



ls: A few quick questions for Sonya to get the parents point of view. Wondering how much time and driving is involved with travel and training?
soh: As I live 100kms away from Sarah, I drive at least 800-1000kms a week to come and get her  to take her to training and games. During holidays it is a lot more as she is at home then.
ls: Amazing dedication, hopefully all the time and effort will come with its own rewards in the future. Are there limitations on the number of sports that Caitlyn can play?
soh: Yes, Sarah attends a boarding school in Townsville and lives away from home. This school will only allow her to be out at certain times, it’s a real juggle to keep everyone happy.
ls: Are there benefits to them playing different sports?
soh: yes, vision on court, team work and different physical strengths.
ls: Are there difficulties in getting them to the sport and in getting them to practice and train?
soh: No problems with her wanting to play. Have trouble working out how to fit it all in. If I cannot take her we have to use taxis, buses and other parents. No help from school.
ls: Do you enjoy going to the game?
soh: Yes, my hobby is watching my kids paly sport/
ls: How much impact does the cost of sport have?
soh: The fuel I use and the Kms I do are extreme, big cost. Sarah attends a boarding school to try to make it easier for her to play basketball at a higher level. Sarah has a lot to cope with. She has to organise a lot of transport, then she has school requirements because she is a boarder and then make sure her school work is up to date. She has to organise her meals at the school when she trains late. I cannot do any of those little things to make it easier for her. Just drive.

ls: You can feel the pride in the answers. I must admit that I am a bit surprised by the lack of support from the school.  I also think the the second photograph is one of the best that we have produced from this series. Sarah actually came back to re shoot the image. I did not realise at the time how difficult that is for her so my thanks goes out to her.Thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment